Seniors Planning Table Details
We work collaboratively as seniors, service providers, community organizations and local governments to ensure that the supports and programs are available for all older adults living on the Sunshine Coast to be healthy, valued and involved members of the community.
Vision to 2019 (five year plan)
As individual seniors we take action alongside organizational representatives to:
- identify needs and gaps, honouring the diversity among older adults in all dimensions
- build partnerships
- connect existing services
- communicate and collaborate to meet the needs of older adults
- speak up for and about services for older adults
We are recognized by government and the community as the coordinated voice of Sunshine Coast seniors. In five years, we have achieved stable funding and our community knows how to reach us for efficient, effective actions. We live by our slogan “compassionate hearts working together.”
Terms of Reference
These points set out the scope of the Seniors Planning Table:
- to build capacity in the engagement and leadership of older adults
- to nurture community engagement, capacity and mobilization related to seniors’ issues
- to support citizens and service providers to collaboratively identify and respond to local challenges and opportunities, build partnerships, and create a collective voice.
- to provide a network for information and resource sharing and collaboration
- to facilitate effective information, referral and coordination of service delivery
- to enhance public awareness and service provider knowledge on matters relating to seniors through educational activities and hosting workshops or events
- to identify and encourage projects and research that will benefit seniors
- to assist local government to determine priority needs for older adults
- to communicate with all levels of government on seniors’ issues
- to request resources from funding agencies, planners and other appropriate sources
- An agency or organization which provides services to seniors living on the Sunshine Coast is eligible for membership.
- Individual interested seniors are eligible for membership.
- Decisions of the planning table will be made by consensus.
- Members who attend meetings may speak for themselves or the organization they represent.
Frequency of Meetings and Administration
- A meeting of the Seniors Planning Table will be held every two months between September and June of each year or at the call of the Steering Committee
- The work of the Seniors Planning Table will be supported by a Coordinator who is accountable to a Steering Committee to include a representative of the host organization and 3 to 5 representatives of the membership