Not-for-Profit Capacity Building Conference
Nov 15 – 16, 2019
kálax-ay Capilano University Campus, Sechelt
Hosted by the Resource Centre and Vantage Point
Friday, November 15th
Essentials for New Managers – 1 Day Workshop
REGISTER HERE – Tickets must be purchased online by November 8th.
Essentials for New Managers is a program for new and aspiring not-for-profit managers to strengthen their management skills. This program addresses an emerging leadership gap, as young, high-performing employees are promoted into leadership and management positions without any formal training. Because of this lack of training, labour market research anticipates a leadership gap as baby boomers retire.
In this one-day session, participants will develop the skills to effectively manage individuals and teams.
The learning objectives for the workshop are:
- Participants acquire technical and functional skills to manage themselves, the work and their teams
- Participants gain self-awareness and learn to leverage their strengths when managing people and teams
- Participants will take away tangible tools, ideas and skills that can be applied in their management role
All participants are required to complete:
- a short online self-assessment ($20 per person online). We will send the link within a few days of you registering
- an organizational scan prior to the workshop:
(a) identify your organization’s mission/mandate, and
(b) develop an understanding of the organizational structure, roles and responsibilities.
- If possible, bring a copy of your organizational chart and your job description.
Saturday, November 16th
Board Fundamentals and Succession Planning
1 Day Workshop
REGISTER HERE – tickets must be purchased by November 8th.
Board Fundamentals – Board Roles and Responsibilities
Learn key strategies to engage your board in achieving its organizational mission by:
- gaining a better understanding of the board chair’s role;
- exploring how to move your board towards a governance model; and
- generating ideas for a Board Chair leadership action plan.
Who Should Attend?
Existing and Incoming Board Chairs of not-for-profit organizations
Participants will learn context and gain skills to lead the board of directors in four core areas:
- Developing the board itself
- Developing the Executive Director
- Developing the organization’s capacity for relevant conversations
- Developing strong external relationships
By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Apply strategies for maintaining role clarity between the executive director and board members
- Identify the right questions and conversations for your board to effectively govern your organization
Proactive Succession Planning
Move from reactive to proactive management of people transitions in your organization.
Effective succession planning is rooted in a continuous process of building leaders at all levels of your organization. This workshop focuses on fostering a culture of succession planning and provides participants with specific approaches and tools aimed at all levels of the organization: board, executive director, salaried employees and knowledge philanthropist.
Learn practical steps and gain concrete resources to support your organization to plan proactively for leadership transition. You will be equipped to identify your current and future leadership requirements to move your mission forward.
Who Should Attend?
Board members, executive directors/CEOs and senior leaders of not-for-profit organizations
Participants will learn how to:
- Develop an organization-wide succession planning strategy
- Embed succession planning into core human resource practices such as recruitment and selection, onboarding, performance management and knowledge transfer
- Move from reactive to proactive management of people transitions in your organization
- Minimize knowledge and productivity loss due to people transitions
- Attract top talent through effective succession planning
Have questions or need more information? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org